Thursday, October 2, 2008

CSI - SLA-SCC

Note: For all SLA Southern California members who subscribe to the chapter's discussion list, the following illustrates the tangled web of intrigue that regularly grips the maintenance of the list.

by your humble Discussion List Admin, Bill Lee

It was the week after the Memorial Day holidays, and I was checking up on things that were left open-ended over the holidays. One of those was a message David Cappoli had sent me from Maria Brahme, the Mentor person. He had gotten a bounce message, and I re-sent it on Friday before the holidays and didn't think too much about it. Now it was Tuesday, the holiday's over and I got the bounce.

So I logged in as Admin on the Discussion list server. It showed both David and I as legal subscribers, and the messages were successful, but not sent. So I looked at the ones that had been sent and saw Liz Sheehan's message about the Bowers Brunch had been sent to a different e-mail server. So I tested that and it worked.

So I e-mailed David, and e-mailed Jeff Leach, the SLA marketing person in charge of the discussion lists, and told him what I had found. A little later I got an email from Jeff saying their vendor had messed things up and he was going to e-mail others with news of the error (I had found).

I checked the website and it had the erroneous e-mail address, so I emailed Stacy the webmaster, to have it changed. Later David showed me messages from HQ sent to the upper-muckies saying there was a mess-up and everybody should change their e-mail addresses.

Little did I know what genie I had uncorked, just cause David's message had bounced. I hadn't thought how integral the advisory positions are to the smooth running of the chapter. I felt good after a day of e-mailing and it was good to be successful due to everybody's cooperation.

No comments: